The government has launched the ‘JANAUSHADHI SUVIDHA’, the Oxo-biodegradable Sanitary Napkin, under the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP).
The affordable sanitary napkins will now become available at over 3600 Janaushadhi Kendras functional in 33 States/UTs across India.
About Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana:
- ‘Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana’ is a campaign launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Govt. Of India, to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to the masses through special kendra’s known as Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Kendra.
- Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Kendra (PMBJK) have been set up to provide generic drugs, which are available at lesser prices but are equivalent in quality and efficacy as expensive branded drugs.
- Jan Aushadhi stores can be located within Government hospital premises as well as Private hospital premises or anywhere outside.
- In addition to medicines and surgical items supplied by BPPI(Bureau of Pharma Public Sector Undertakings of India), Jan Aushadhi stores will be allowed to sell allied medical products commonly sold in chemist shops so as to improve the viability of running the Jan Aushadhi store.
- BPPI shall source the medicines both from Pharma PSUs as well as from Private companies. However, PSUs would have the first right to supply the products that they manufacture in their plants.
- BPPI shall ensure that private manufactures are only reputed organisations by incorporating strict terms and conditions in the tender specifications.
About Generic Medicine:
Generic medicines are unbranded medicines which are equally safe and having the same efficacy as that of branded medicines in terms of their therapeutic value. The prices of generic medicines are much cheaper than their branded equivalent.