PRINCIPAL vs PRINCIPLE
Principal Definition and Examples
The word “principal” has a few meanings. The first one is a person in charge of a school or organization. The second can be money that has been invested or lent in a transaction. Third, it can also be used as an adjective to describe something that is important. Here are some examples:
- The PRINCIPAL at my school is very strict. He won’t let me get away with anything!
- I know that you now owe a lot of money on your loan, but what was the PRINCIPAL? (How much did you originally owe?)
- Money comes and goes but the PRINCIPAL thing in life should be your health.
Principle Definition and Examples
“Principle” has a much different meaning. This can be defined as a rule or something that is generally true. For example:
|We Recommend Testbook APP|
|100+ Free Mocks For RRB NTPC & Group D Exam||Attempt Free Mock Test|
|100+ Free Mocks for IBPS & SBI Clerk Exam||Attempt Free Mock Test|
|100+ Free Mocks for SSC CGL 2021 Exam||Attempt Free Mock Test|
|100+ Free Mocks for Defence Police SI 2021 Exam||Attempt Free Mock Test|
|100+ Free Mocks for UPSSSC 2021 Exam||Attempt Free Mock Test|
- A person without PRINCIPLES is not someone you want to deal with.
- The scientific PRINCIPLES of physics are sometimes hard to explain.
- Understanding the PRINCIPLES of cooking will allow you to cook delicious food.
Way to Remember the Difference between Principle vs Principal
A trick you can use to remember the difference is to remember the word “pal.” This word means someone who is a friend. Therefore, the “principal” is your “pal.” And just as much as I like my “pal” the “principal,” money is also my “pal.”
Principal vs Principle Examples:
- Their school gave a reception to their new principal.
- The hospital was named in honour of its principal benefactor.
- His principal reason for making the journey was to visit his family.
- They were the principal shareholders in a bank riddled with corruption.
- The principal product of alcohol metabolism is acetic acid, which is useful in many ways.
- I agree with you in principle, but we’ll need to discuss the details.
- The organization works on the principle that all members have the same rights.
- I think this government operates on the basis of expediency, not of principle.
- Setting aside the question of cost, what do you think of the idea in principle?
- These two medical instruments work on the same principle.