Candidates who are appearing for any type of competitive exam would swear by the importance of studying the current affairs notes . In a lot of exams, including UPSC, IBPS, SBI , INSURANCE, Current Affairs is one of the most important pillars. A lot of questions are directly asked from current events and happenings having political, economic and social ramifications on the country.If such is the case you absolutely cannot compromise on the Notes you refer to brush up your knowledge on General Knowledge.One should have complete knowledge about the banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update of 12th November to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev ji being celebrated on November 12
- The 550th birth anniversary of first Sikh guru and founder of Sikhism Guru Nanak Dev is being celebrated on November 12 on Tuesday as Prakash Parv. Guru Nanak Dev Ji spent more than 15 years at Sultanpur Lodhi, where he attained enlightenment. Devotees organize langar at various places on this occasion.
- Guru Nanak Dev Ji was a philosopher, social reformer, thinker and poet.
Industrial Production Shrinks By 4.3% In September
- Industrial activity in September contracted sharply by 4.3%, a historical low in over six years, driven by major slowdowns in the capital goods, mining, and manufacturing sectors, according to official data.
- In terms of industries, seventeen out of 23 industry groups in the manufacturing sector have shown negative growth during the month of September 2019 as compared to the corresponding month of the previous year.
- A slowdown was witnessed in the manufacturing sector, which declined by 3.9 per cent in September as compared to 4.8 per cent growth a year ago.
Public Service Broadcasting Day to be celebrated on November 12
- Public Service Broadcasting Day is be celebrated on November 12 every year. This day is celebrated every year to commemorate the first and last visit of the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi to the studio of All India Radio, Delhi in 1947.
- The Father of the Nation addressed the displaced people, who had temporarily settled at Kurukshetra in Haryana after partition.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
Gujarat government gives nod for world’s first CNG port terminal at Bhavnagar
- Gujarat Government has given its nod to the world’s first CNG port terminal at Bhavnagar. The U.K. based Foresight group and Mumbai based Padmanabh Mafatlal group joint venture will invest Rs.1900 crore to set up a CNG port terminal at Bhavnagar port.
- The proposed CNG port terminal will have annual capacity of 6 million matric tone, which will increase the total handling capacity of the port to 9 million matric tones.
- The new facility will be developed in the Northen side of present port, under which RoRo(Roll-on/roll-off) terminal, liquid terminal and container terminal will be developed in future.
IOCL gets environmental clearance to set up 2G ethanol plant in Panipat
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change has given environment clearance to Indian Oil Corporation Limited to set up new 2G Ethanol plant at Panipat. This project not only promotes use of environmentally friendly fuel but also aids in fulfilment of government’s goal of doubling farmers’ income.
Dal Lake of J&K to be declared Eco-Sensitive Zone
- The Jammu and Kashmir government has set up a 10-member committee to declare Srinagar’s famous Dal Lake and its surrounding areas as an eco-sensitive zone (ESZ), following concerns over its shrinking size.
- Pollution and encroachments have resulted in the Dal Lake shrinking from its original area of 22 square kilometres to about 10 square kilometres, according to an assessment by the Dredging Corporation of India (DCI) in 2017.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Overseas investors remain net buyers as FPIs invest over Rs 12,000 cr in November
- Overseas investors remained net buyers in the domestic capital markets with an investment of over 12,000 crore rupees in November so far as market sentiments improved following economic reforms by the government.
- The latest depositories data showed that Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPI) infused around 6,434 crore rupees in equities and 5,674 crore rupees in debt segment between first to ninth of this month.
SBI Report predicts India’s GDP for FY20 at 5% and FY21 at 6.2%
- An SBI research report has predicted the GDP Growth rate of India for 2019-20 (FY20) at 5%. Earlier the projection was 6.1%.
- As per the report, India is expected to grow at 6.2% in 2020-21 (FY21).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Keith Vaz retires after 32 years as UK MP
- Keith Vaz, the longest-serving Indian-origin MP in the House of Commons, has announced his retirement from Parliament after 32 years in the wake of a drugs scandal. Vaz had been the Labour Party’s MP for Leicester East since 1987.
- Vaz had played a prominent role in the India-UK relations over the years and hosted numerous Indian ministers and MPs during their visit to Britain.
Justice AP Sahi sworn-in as Chief Justice of Madras High Court
- Justice Amreshwar Pratap Sahi was sworn-in as Chief Justice of the Madras High Court.
- Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit administered the oath of office to Justice Sahi. Justice Sahi replaces Justice VK Tahilramani, who quit on September 6.
- Prior to this appointment, Justice Sahi was Chief Justice of the Patna High Court from November 17, 2018.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOUR
K. Ullas Karanth Honored with inaugural George Schaller Lifetime Award
- Wildlife biologist K. Ullas Karanth, has been awarded the George Schaller Lifetime Award in Wildlife Conservation Science for his contribution to the field of conservation.
- Karanth, who is the Director at Centre for Wildlife Studies, Bengaluru, is the first recipient of the award instituted by the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), New York.
George Schaller lifetime award for wildlife biologist K. Ullas Karanth
- Wildlife biologist K. Ullas Karanth, Director, Centre for Wildlife Studies, Bengaluru, was awarded the George Schaller Lifetime Award in Wildlife Conservation Science for his contribution to the field of conservation.
- He is the first recipient of the award instituted by the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), New York, in honour of Dr George Schaller, who is considered one of the greatest wildlife scientists and conservationists globally.
- K. Ullas Karanth was honoured with various awards, which includes Padma Shri award (2012), Karnataka Government’s Rajyothsava Award (2010) etc.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Javelin thrower Sundar Singh wins gold in World Para Athletics Championships
- Javelin thrower Sundar Singh Gurjar has won India’s second gold defending his World Para Athletics Championships title in the men’s F46 javelin throw event in Dubai.
- Gurjar came up with his season’s best effort of 61.22m to claim the top spot. India now have two gold, two silver and a bronze in the Championships.
Saurabh Chaudhary wins silver medal in Men’s 10m air pistol event at Asian Championship
- Saurabh Chaudhary claimed the silver medal in men’s 10m air pistol event to continue India’s surge at the 14th Asian Championship in Doha. He shot 244.5 to finish second on the podium behind North Korea’s Kim Song Guk, who won the top prize with a world record 246.5.
- In all, India picked up eight medals on the day. India won six Olympic quotas across events from the prestigious championship, taking their total to 15.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
NASA unveils its first electric airplane
- NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) has launched its 1st all-electric experimental aircraft named the X-57 “Maxwell”.
- It is NASA’s 1st crewed X-plane (experimental plane) in nearly 2 decades adapted from Italian Tecnam P2006T aircraft.
- The first delivery of the all-electric experimental aircraft was taken from Empirical Systems Aerospace (ESAero) in California, United States(US).
- The aircraft is expected to be operational by late 2020.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : SUMMIT & CONFERENCE
BRICS trade ministers meeting begins in Brasilia
- BRICS trade ministers meeting has started in Brasilia, Brazil. Commerce minister Piyush Goyal is leading the Indian delegation. The meeting will focus on trade facilitation, investment promotion and cooperation in customs among other issues.
- MoU on trade and investment promotion between agencies of all the 5 BRICS countries will be signed after the meeting.
Golden Jubilee of IFFI starts on November 20 in Goa
- The Golden Jubilee of International Film Festival of India, IFFI starts on 20th November in Goa. The International Film Festival Of India (IFFI) is the first International Film Festival held anywhere in Asia.
- 2019 marks the Golden Jubilee Celebrations of IFFI. It will feature over 200 best films from 76 countries, 26 feature films and 15 non-feature films in Indian panorama section.
India to host 19th council of heads of government of SCO in 2020
- SCO Secretary-General Vladimir Norov has announced that India will host the 19th council of heads of government of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation in 2020 in New Delhi. This is for the first time that India will host this meet.
- Recently Rajnath Singh represented India at the 18th council of heads of government of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation held in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
“National Capital Region -2041” Conclave held in New Delhi
- The inaugural conclave on “National Capital Region -2041” was held in New Delhi on November 11, 2019.
- The conclave was chaired by Shri Durga Shankar Mishra, Secretary, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India.
- It was organized by the National Capital Region Planning Board (NCRPB).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
HADR Exercise TIGER TRIUMPH to Commence at Visakhapatnam
In consonance with the growing partnership between India and the US, the maiden India US joint Tri services Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) Exercise named ‘TIGER TRIUMPH’ is scheduled on the Eastern seaboard from 13 to 21 Nov 19.
Indian Naval ships Jalashwa, Airavat and Sandhayak, Indian Army troops from 19 Madras and 7 Guards, and Indian Air Force MI-17 helicopters and Rapid Action Medical Team (RAMT) would be participating in the exercise.