Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on December 5, 2018 launched the ‘Mukhyamantri Tirth Yatra Yojana’ which offers free travel packages for senior citizens from Delhi to five religious circuits. 1,100 senior citizens from every constituency of Delhi will be able to avail this facility at one go.
Under this free pilgrimage scheme, a Delhi resident above 60 years will be eligible to take free pilgrimage along with his or her spouse.
The scheme was approved by the Delhi Government on July 9, 2018. Earlier, the Delhi Cabinet had on January 8, 2018 approved the Revenue Department’s proposal to begin with the Mukhyamantri Tirth Yatra Yojana.
Who can avail this offer?
- 1,100 senior citizens from every constituency of Delhi will be able to avail this facility at one go.
- Under this free pilgrimage scheme, a Delhi resident above 60 years will be eligible to take free pilgrimage along with his or her spouse.
- There is no income criterion but preference will be given to those from economically weaker sections on first-come-first-serve basis.
- Employees of central, state and local government or autonomous bodies are not eligible for the scheme.
- The applicant can also take along an attendant above the age of 20 years, if he or his spouse is above 70 years. The expenditure of the attendant will also be borne by the Delhi government.
- Those selected for pilgrimage will be covered with an insurance of Rs 1 lakh each.
- The applicant will have to give a self-certificate that all information being given by them is correct and they have not availed the scheme in the past.
Selection of pilgrims:
The selection of pilgrims will be done through draw of lots and respective area MLAs will certify whether the intended beneficiaries belong to Delhi or not.