How To Prepare For IBPS PO
Dear students, as we already know that IBPS released the notification for the recruitment, it’s high time to start preparing for the IBPS PO Examination. This article is specially prepared for the aspirants who are yet to start their preparations for the same. Following are some important points discussing how one should prepare for the upcoming IBPS PO 2017 Examination.
Grasp the syllabus and pattern of Examination
|We Recommend Testbook APP|
|100+ Free Mocks For RRB NTPC & Group D Exam||Attempt Free Mock Test|
|100+ Free Mocks for IBPS & SBI Clerk Exam||Attempt Free Mock Test|
|100+ Free Mocks for SSC CGL 2021 Exam||Attempt Free Mock Test|
|100+ Free Mocks for Defence Police SI 2021 Exam||Attempt Free Mock Test|
|100+ Free Mocks for UPSSSC 2021 Exam||Attempt Free Mock Test|
- IBPS can be segmented into five broad parts:
General Awareness (with special reference to Banking Industry), and
- Changes were introduced in almost every section in IBPS PO Examination. So, if you do not keep yourself updated of all these changes, all your hardwork can go in vain.
Strict Study Plan is a must
- Aspirants are bound to give a certain amount of time to a particular topic or subject when his preparations are revolving around a plan.
- The topics are like milestones to be crossed to them.
- Once you are done with a particular topic, you are kind of excited for the next one.
- Also, when there is a plan, there is a deadline too to wind up certain topics within a certain period of time.
- Regular studies reduce the level of stress, as the number of topics to be done does not accumulate into blizzards, hence provide the aspirant with a better physical and mental health.
Leave no stone unturned
- If your concepts on any topic are not clear, you can watch free Youtube videosand be on the ball to face IBPS RRB PO 2017.
- There are many E-booksand Study Notesavailable on various topics.
- Video Courses too are available for those who cannot join Classroom Programs but wanted to.
- You can also apply for IBPS Coaching Classesif you think your concepts are not that clear and you are not even able to clear them out on your own.
- So much is happening every day that unless you keep yourself abreast of these changes you cannot adjust yourself to them or tackle the GA section of IBPS PO exam 2017 smoothly and easily.
- To save your precious time, we provide you with an alternative that is our “Daily GK Update”(Available in both Hindi and English languages) that contains only the news that is important from the point of view of IBPS PO Examination.
- Apart from the GA Section, an excellent knowledge of current news also helps you deal with the GDPI.
- Your vocabulary and English skills can also be improved if you maintain reading newspapers on a regular basis.
Put what you learn into practice
- Practicing with Test Series helps you ace the original tests/examinations.
- Computer based Test Series for IBPS PO also help you save your time as they simulate the real tests and let you know you how to attempt the questions in a way that you are able to attempt the maximum number of questions within the stipulated time.
- It also gives you an All India Rankso as you can assess where you stand and how much more you need to work.
- Many test series comprise of a range of questions that equate the level of frequently asked questions, previous year questions, and new pattern questions for IBPS Prelims as well as Mains Examination.
So, students, it’s better late than never but have it on your brains that you will have to work against the clock to succeed in the upcoming IBPS PO 2017 as you are left with only a couple of months to prepare for it.
Buy Quantitative Aptitude Tricks n Tips Book & Reasoning Tricks n Tips Book >> Buy Now
Tips For IBPS PO
- Set up a time-table
Prepare a time-table with both short-term and long-term goals. Such a time-table would assist you in completing the target syllabus on time. Organize all the things you have to do and fix your timetable around it. IBPS can be segmented into five broad parts:
General Awareness (with special reference to Banking Industry), and
Making a time table inculcates a sense of discipline, the aspirant is bound to give a certain amount of time to a particular subject or topic. The topics are like milestones to be crossed to the aspirants. Once you are done with a particular topic, you receive a kind of positive reinforcement to achieve the next target. Regular studies reduce the level of stress, as the amount of topics to be done does not accumulate into blizzards, hence provide the aspirant with a better physical and mental health.
Once you are done with all the topics, you need to revise them all from time to time. If you do not revise the topics that you studied months back, you end up remembering nothing as if you haven’t studied anything.
- Continuous Practice
Practicing with mocks helps you ace the original tests/examinations and identify your strengths and weaknesses as well. After attempting the tests, you are well aware of your speeds with which you attempt every different section. That way, in the original examination, you will choose to attempt the very section first that you are very good, or say fast at. GovernmentAdda mocks encompass a range of questions that match the level of frequently asked questions, previous year questions, and new pattern questions. Computer based Test Series for IBPS PO also help you save your time as they simulate the real tests and let you know you how to attempt the questions in a way that you are able to attempt maximum number of questions within the given time limit. It also gives you an All India Rank so as you can assess where you stand and how much more you need to work. Once you are used to giving such tests, any online examination will no longer seem outlandish to you. Understand the syllabus by going through past year’s papers and official guidelines. Practicing previous year’s papers is also very important as it helps in familiarizing the aspirants with the pattern of the exam.It helps them to ascertain how much time they spend on an average in solving a particular question and avoid situations where the bottom falls out of all their strategies when they get stuck pondering over a single low-scoring question for too long and thereby overlooking other high-scoring questions. So, test series and previous year papers actually play a very important role in your preparations.
- Reading newspapers
Reading of newspapers is good, useful, and is all that is important to participate in any competitive exam these days. You read what is happening around the globe and for a while get out of the narrow circle of your personal affairs. So much is happening every day that unless you keep yourself abreast of these changes you cannot adjust yourself to them or tackle the GA section of IBPS PO exam 2017 smoothly and easily.
The events that happen around the world are recorded in a newspaper. A busy person hardly gets the time to read everything that it contains. This is why, to save your precious time, we provide you with an alternative that is our “Daily GK Update” (Available in both Hindi and English languages) that contains only the news that is important from the point of view of competitive examinations. It contains all the news that is likely to be asked in IBPS PO examination. This way you can keep updated with all the important news without wasting much of your time on reading not so important news or searching for the news that is important for upcoming examinations. Avoid the habit of ignoring everyday news telling yourself that you will do it in the end when the examinations are close, you only end up lying crushed under a pile of news. A cursory glance at newspapers wouldn’t help you do anything but mere entertaining gossips. Apart from the GA Section, an excellent knowledge of current news also helps you deal with the GDPI (Group Discussion and Personal Interview) more efficiently so you do not give a mumble jumble answer to the interviewee’s simple questions. You do not get to see four or five options while participating in a group discussion or facing an interview, remember that. Your vocabulary and English skills can also be improved if you maintain reading newspapers on a regular basis. Reading newspaper is of high importance and indispensable.
- Clear Concepts
Our world is getting more virtualized and Internet is acting as a catalyst in each every fields of life. Internet is making the world faster, and becoming the prominent part of every one’s life. Students too are also getting familiar with the use of internet usage and they are seeing Internet as a new teacher. Internet has made learning easier as it was never before. No more problems in learning, because distance learning is there, all the study material that you need for your preparations is now available on Internet. With one touch learn any things that you can imagine. If your concepts on any topic are not clear, you can watch free Youtube videos and be on the ball to face IBPS PO 2017. There are many e-books and study notes available on various topics. Video Courses too are available for those who cannot join classroom programmes but wanted to. You can also apply for IBPS PO Coaching Classes if you think your concepts are not that clear and you are not even able to clear them out on your own.
- Strong Determination
You need to set aside the casual attitude of yours towards the competitive examinations as they need full dedication and commitment. Nothing can stop us to achieve success in our life if we have a strong will power and determination. Once you are determined and have disciplined your mind you will see a great transformation in yourself. If you wish to succeed, you must aver to yourself that you will work hard to achieve your goal, with as much brio as you can muster. Make sure that you do not get lost in the lalaland of useless thoughts while you are studying. You have to be fully devoted towards the goal you want to achieve. Do remember that you will be able to do all of this only if you keep practicing and utilize the time that you have for your preparations. Everyone has only 24 hours in a day and what makes the difference is how you utilize these hours.There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.
IBPS PO 2017 COMPLETE SYLLABUS
Reasoning Ability and Computer Aptitude
Reasoning Ability is going to be a difficult section as reasoning section of banking exams has always been difficult as compared to other examinations. The pattern is getting complex day by day and most of the topics of this section are now being asked in the form of puzzles only. Also, IBPS has included Computer Aptitude in this very section only. So prepare in a way that you are not bundle of nerves while attempting the IBPS PO Examination. The only way to ace the scores in the section is strenuous practice. Here is the IBPS PO Syllabus for Reasoning Ability Section and Computer Aptitude.
- Seating Arrangements
- Direction Sense
- Blood Relation
- Order and Ranking
- Machine Input-Output
- Alpha-Numeric-Symbol Series
- Data Sufficiency
- Logical Reasoning (Passage Inference, Statement and Assumption, Conclusion, Argument)
- History and Generation of Computers
- Introduction to Computer Organisation
- Computer Memory
- Computer Hardware and I/O Devices
- Computer Software
- Computer Languages
- Operating System
- Computer Network
- MS Office Suit and Short cut keys
- Basics of DBMS
- Number System and Conversions
- Computer and Network Security
Quantitative Aptitude | Data Analysis & Interpretation
The level of every other section has only turned more complex and convoluted, there is no doubt that this section too will be making your blood run cold. If we talk about previous years examinations, this section consumes a lot of time so what one needs to do is an efficient time management that can only be achieved through practice. Data Interpretation and topics from arithmetic section make it hard for one to deal with the section as easily as any other section. Practice continuously, it will pay big time. Here is the IBPS PO Syllabus for Quantitative Aptitude Section.
- Data Interpretation (Bar Graph, Line Chart, Tabular, Caselet, Radar/Web, Pie Chart)
- Inequalities (Quadratic Equations)
- Number Series
- Approximation and Simplification
- Data Sufficiency
- Miscellaneous Arithmetic Problems (HCF and LCM, Profit and Loss, SI & CI, Problem on Ages, Work and Time, Speed Distance and Time, Probability, Mensuration, Permutation and Combination, Average, Ratio and Proportion, Partnership, Problems on Boats and Stream, Problems on Trains, Mixture and Allegation, Pipes and Cisterns)
This topic can be easy as pie if your basics are clear. Sometimes, even those who can communicate very well in English, fail to perform to the best of their ability in competitive exams. A habit of reading an English Newspaper can actually do a good turn because it helps to build up a strong vocabulary, effective knowledge of grammar, and efficient comprehension skills. Rest depends on how hard you practice. Here is the complete IBPS PO English Syllabus for English Section.
- Reading Comprehension
- Cloze Test
- Sentence Errors
- Vocabulary based questions
- Sentence Improvement
- Jumbled Paragraph
- Paragraph Based Questions (Paragraph Fillers, Paragraph Conclusion, Paragraph /Sentences Restatement)
The questions asked in IBPS PO General Awareness Section are usually based on Banking Awareness, Static Awareness, and Current Affairs. This year we observed a change in the pattern of GA Section of banking examinations as well. Most of the questions are now being asked from Banking Awareness so this section too is going to be very challenging. Batten down the hatches!
- Banking and Insurance Awareness
- Financial Awareness
- Govt. Schemes and Policies
- Current Affairs
- Static Awareness
Changes Expected In IBPS Exams 2017 – New Pattern of Questions!
IBPS has released the official notification for recruitment in Public Sector Banks and next month the exams for RRB Prelims will take place. IBPS has also introduced some major changes in Exam Pattern of Mains Exam for PO Recruitment.
This is the time start your preparation and practice for bank exams. And before you delve deep into the subjects…Have you gone through the changes brought up by SBI in its PO recruitment 2017?
The changes brought by SBI in the type of questions were taken up by the RBI Grade-B Officer recruitment and NICL AO Mains Examinations. So it is a must that you acquaint yourself with the knowledge of all new types and pattern of questions introduced by SBI exams in 2017 as you can expect a similar set of questions in upcoming IBPS PO and IBPS RRB exams as well. Keep on reading to know about new exam pattern of IBPS PO.
Buy Quantitative Aptitude Tricks n Tips Book & Reasoning Tricks n Tips Book >> Buy Now
IBPS PO 2017 NEW EXAM PATTERN
IBPS has introduced some major changes this year in its Mains Exam Pattern. However, the examination pattern for the preliminary exam is still the same. This year IBPS will also conduct a descriptive test of English Language (Letter and Essay Writing) along with the mains exam. Now the structure is very similar to the mains pattern of SBI Exams. Reasoning and Computer sections are clubbed and there are changes in the name of subjects as well as the number of questions and weightage of each section.
IBPS PO Preliminary Exam Pattern:
|Name of Tests||No. of Qs||Maximum Marks||Duration|
Composite time of 1 hour
IBPS PO Mains Exam Pattern:
|Sr. No||Name of Tests
(NOT BY SEQUENCE)
|Medium of Exam||Time allotted for each
test (Separately timed)
|1||Reasoning & Computer Aptitude||45||60||English & Hindi||60 minutes|
|2||English Language||35||40||English||40 minutes|
|3||Data Analysis & Interpretation||35||60||English & Hindi||45 minutes|
|4||General/ Economy/ Banking
|40||40||English & Hindi||35 minutes|
English Language (Letter Writing & Essay) for 25 marks, time limit 30 minutes.
What to expect in IBPS PO Exam 2017?
State Bank of India’s recruitment has always been a trendsetter in banking recruitment industry whose footsteps are usually followed by IBPS and other recruiting company in their own modified version. Well, this year’s SBI PO Recruitment’s Common Written Examinations are over where Prelims examination was easier than expected on the other hand Mains examination was the toughest of SBI’s hardest hits taken by aspirants. Yes, even this year SBI has set up new industry standards for recruitment of Probationary Officers in Banking Industry.
Now after SBI exam is over it is the time that every person aspiring to start a career in banking take a note of the changes it brought in the Mains examination to have a head start and proper plan for IBPS PO and IBPS RRB 2017. According to IBPS’s Tentative Calendar for PSBs and RRBs Preliminary and Mains Exam for IBPS PO recruitment will take place tentatively in the month of October and November respectively. This leaves you with a good amount of time to tap it into your benefit….so don’t wait for a day longer to start with IBPS RRB preparation.
SBI PO Mains exam added on to the list of the new pattern for banking recruitment CWEs. Data Analysis and Interpretation was especially challenging section among all. English section also did put up a tough fight will many questions catering to higher order thinking level. In the toughest exam so far for banking recruitment of 2017 following were the takeaways that you must keep in mind while preparing for IBPS exam.
The difficulty level of this section seems ever increasing with every recruitment exam to aspirants, but don’t worry with correct practice you can get through this section. Now-a-days the approach is more towards practical usage so always stay prepared for the unexpected. After all English is a language and essentially there are two most important aspects of a language its syntax and semantics. If you improve and work on your vocabulary, grammar knowledge, and comprehension skills you can easily deal with any new pattern question.
In SBI PO Mains 2017 following were new pattern questions or changes in conventional questions introduced this year:
Reading Comprehension: The pattern of RC is not so drastically changed. They’ve just written Paragraph1, Pragraph2, etc before each para of the RC and each RC had a set of 5 question with no question based on vocabulary.One new question of paragraph connector was introduced, for example: Which of the following statements can follow paragraph 4 to form a connection with paragraph 5?
Sentence Formation: In this type, four statements were given in the question and candidate has to identify which among the given option is the answer where all those parts are connected to a complete, meaningful and grammatically correct sentence.
Error Detection: In SBI PO Mains there 4 questions of conventional error detection question and 4 questions for a new pattern of error detection. The new format was essentially the same as the conventional one where you have to identify the error in a part of the sentence but here it was presented in a much-twisted way, which led to the tendency of confusion in aspirants.
A sentence was divided into three parts and in the question itself, they separately gave improved phrases for all those three parts (I), (II) and (III). Now the candidates have to identify if the error was in Ist part or in two parts or in all parts and the improvement provided for the first, second, or third part is correct or no correction is required in any part and the given sentence if grammatically correct.
Phrase Interpretation: In this type of question a phrase was marked as bold in a sentence and three definitions to that phrase were provided separately. The candidate has to identify the correct interpretation of that phrase among the given options.
Double Fillers: There are two blanks in each of the two sentences given in the question and the candidate have to choose the option which provides the correct set of words that fits both the blanks in both the statements appropriately and in the same order making them meaningful and grammatically correct.
Passage Inference: This question of passage inference was in reverse order, where they already provided with the inference (phrase) in the question itself and candidates have to identify the correct passage among the given options from where it was inferred.
Sentence Rearrangement: These questions of Jumbled sentences also required candidates to apply some logical skills where they asked questions as if a particular sentence if the last sentence then which of the following does not fit the context of passage; or then what will be the order of rearrangement
Must Do for IBPS PO 2017: English Language
- Develop Reading Habits and read newspaper daily to improve comprehension skills
- Improve Vocabulary for Fillers and Cloze test questions
- Learn English Grammar Rules related to all parts of speech
- Memorize all important phrasal verbs
- learn all the different type of sentence structures, e.g. Conditionals etc.
- For Sentence Rearrangement, learn the connecting words, conjunctions, and prepositional phrases.
- For new pattern questions, always read the directions twice, If the direction is clear then you can easily answer the questions.
Data Analysis and Interpretation
Quant section was too lengthy and calculative for most of the candidates as even the questions of Data Interpretation were topic based- Time and Work, Profit and Loss. Many aspirants felt that this was the toughest section among all in SBI PO Mains 2017 exam. Now clearly candidates cannot think of escaping from the concepts and practice of miscellaneous arithmetic part as apart from arithmetic questions you can also get topic based data interpretation.
Topic Based Data Interpretation: Usually DI were based on concepts of Percentage, Average, Ratio but this time in SBI PO Mains 2017 DI was based on Time and Work and Profit and Loss.
Advanced level of Probability: The level of probability questions was advanced as compared to the conventional probability questions asked in bank recruitment exams.
Must Do for IBPS PO 2017: Quantitative Aptitude
- Tables, squares, cubes, sq. roots and cube roots.
- Develop the ability of speedy calculation to save time.
- Learn formulas and techniques for arithmetic portion – Time and Work, Speed Distance and Time, Upstream-Downstream, Percentage, Ratio, Average, Profit and Loss, SI & CI, Problem on trains, problem on ages.
- Practice tough level questions of Probability, Permutation and Combination
Reasoning and Computer Aptitude
First of all, there were no questions of Computer aptitude and some more new pattern reasoning questions were introduced in SBI PO Mains 2017. This can be your clue as what to practice for IBPS exam.
Diagram based Input Output questions: Rather than the conventional machine input-output question this year SBI surprised students with a diagrammatic input-output question where candidates themselves had to deduce the logic and relation from figures/ numbers in the diagram and infer the process of transition from one step to the next.
Puzzles: The number of puzzles and seating arrangement has increased as even direction based questions were in form of a puzzle. This year SBI introduced a calculation based puzzle which required students to have speedy calculation as it was lengthy. It is a tough call at exam time to choose what to attempt and what to leave. If such out of the box questions are too much to take it is a wise decision to skip them. But do practice them thoroughly for upcoming exams as you must be prepared to face the toughest of challenges.
Coding-Decoding: This time coding decoding was time-based which also required some basic calculation to solve the questions.
Must Do for IBPS PO 2017: Reasoning Ability
- Improve your calculation speed and accuracy.
- Practice with High Level Puzzles and Seating Arrangement questions.
- Develop higher order thinking skills.
- Practice Logical Reasoning Question, Direction Sense Questions, Blood Relation, Coding-Decoding, Machine Input-Output.
Time Management Tips for IBPS PO Pre
For any bank exam, time management is a crucial strategy. Especially when it comes to IBPS PO exam since the new IBPS PO exam pattern has sectional timings for mains but the prelims have the same pattern. It is one of the most important bank exams and therefore the competition is tough but beatable. All you need are the right tips and tricks to crack IBPS PO. The exam is just around the corner with IBPS PO prelims in October 2017, mains in November 2017 and the Interview round in January or February 2018.
So you need to start preparing for IBPS PO right now. We are here to help you come up with a plan to solve different sections in a given time that will channel your preparation in the right direction and utilize the given time during the IBPS PO prelims.
Tips for Time Management for IBPS PO Exam 2017
The best part about the phase I of the IBPS PO is that we can switch to any section whenever we want during the composite allotted time of 1 hour. So, the complete power is in our hands to deal with the sections. The standard time that should be given to the sections is as follows:
- English language– 15 Minutes
- Quantitative Aptitude– 20-25 Minutes
- Reasoning Ability– 20-25 Minutes
This section consists of many topics like:
- Error detection: 3 minutes
- Sentence improvement: 2 minutes
- Cloze test: 3 minutes
- Passages: These can be approached by attempting the synonyms antonyms questions first.
- Para jumbles: In the short span of time, we can always find the first sentence or few other sentences. So quickly attempt those 2-3 questions at least out of total 5.
If you have very good accuracy then you can clear this IBPS PO sections’ cut-off within 8 minutes. But to be on a safer side and keeping in mind the accuracy issue which is always associated with English section, we should attempt at least 25 questions in total.
This section consists of many topics like
- Number series- 3 minutes
- Simplification- 3 minutes
- Quadratic equations- 4 minutes
Questions from these topics are very scoring and less time taking if the proper practice has been done prior to the IBPS PO exam. Around 15 questions from these topics can be attempted in 10 minutes. After attempting these questions, one can go with either Data Interpretation questions or miscellaneous questions first depending on the comfort zone.
- Data interpretation- These questions are very calculative many times. But there will always be at least 2 questions out of 5 in each set of data interpretation which take hardly a minute. So always try to find out those in your IBPS PO exam and attempt them first. But this observation comes only after a lot of practice.
- Miscellaneous- This is a group of various topics like time & work, speed & distance, ages, ratio & proportion and a lot more like these. So attempt those questions first which are from your strong topic. After that, if time allows then increase your number of attempts to definitely secure your seat in mains.
This section consists of many topics like
- Inequality- 4 minutes
- Coding-decoding- 4 minutes
- Blood Relation, Direction, Ranking & arrangement – There can be 3-4 questions from these topics which can be attempted within 4 minutes.
- Seating arrangement, puzzle- These questions should be attempted at the end after attempting half of the section.
So, the IBPS PO syllabus is not really vast. All you need is proper practice for 2 months and proper time management in the IBPS PO exam. And always remember that everyone has his/her own strong/weak area. So, the last decision should always be yours how you are going to attempt the paper.
Besides time management, few other things that should be very clear in mind are:
- Don’t try to attempt every question: IBPS is not going to make the
merit list on the basis of your preliminary Exam, So your main focus should not be to attempt each and every question you come across during IBPS PO prelims exam. The main focus should be on clearing sectional and overall cut-off. Don’t forget to look at the previous year IBPS PO cut off to know how much you need to score. Sometimes while trying to attempt every question, we miss out the easy ones.
- Don’t be nervous: Many times we find ourselves in a situation where we are not able to solve the questions from our favourite/strong topic. Don’t be nervous in those situations. Because nervousness leads to negative thoughts and that is not going to be
- Pick the right questions: As soon as we see any question, we know that it can be solved easily or not and this comes with practice. So in a short span of 60 minutes, it is very much essential to choose the right question and skip the consuming ones.